Orthodontics is a special branch of dentistry whose focus is on correcting teeth and jaws that are not positioned properly. When the teeth are crooked or crowded, they are harder to sufficiently clean, so they are more prone to cavities. Misaligned teeth or bad bites are referred to as malocclusion. There are different types of malocclusion that can be corrected with orthodontic treatment. These include:
– Underbite – The lower teeth sit in front of the upper teeth.
– Overbite – This is sometimes called “buck teeth.” The upper teeth sit too far in front of the lower teeth.
– Crossbite – When one or more of the upper teeth sit inside of the lower teeth when you or your child bites down. A crossbite can occur in the front and/or sides of the mouth.
– Open bite – When the back teeth bite together, there is a space between the side and/or front teeth.
– Spacing – Missing teeth or teeth that just don’t fill the space in the jaw cause gaps or spaces between the teeth.
– Crowding – When there is not sufficient room in the jaw for the teeth, the teeth may overlap or sit too close together.
– Misplaced Midline – The center of the lower front teeth does not line up with the center of your upper front teeth properly.
If you or your child are suffering from malocclusion, Dr. Michael Sabat and our team are here to help! Keep in mind that even if you don’t notice malocclusion in your smile or your child’s smile, there may still be a slight alignment issue that can be corrected or prevented.
We welcome you to contact Sabat Orthodontics today to learn more about orthodontics in Parma and Brecksville, Ohio, and to schedule a visit with our orthodontist.